Saturday, May 30, 2020

Start to make it stop: Refuse to be a prisoner of dangerous one-way thinking


Photo courtesy of usnews.com

I refuse to become a prisoner of one-way thinking. Chaos, confusion and contempt live in the margins ... in the extremes. That's where the madness happens; where destruction resides. Consideration, caring and most importantly CONNECTION, live in the middle, like the vast majority of us.
I know racism exists in this country, and that it's unequivocally wrong. But I refuse to believe this country is evil or that the majority of its citizens -- regardless of race, religion etc. -- aren't good and caring people. There is no greater country. I'm capable of holding on to each of those thoughts.
George Floyd died Monday in while in police custody
I know the color of my skin has allowed me to avoid injustices that others have been confronted with. But I refuse to believe the color of my skin makes me a racist by association. I know who I am and what I am, and I don't need to apologize for that. I'm capable of holding on to each of those thoughts simultaneously.
I know that police brutality is a thing that, sadly, exists in this country. But I refuse to believe all police officer are rogue racists on the prowl. In fact, I believe -- no, I KNOW -- the majority of cops are protectors who run toward danger while others run away from it. They care; they want to help. They sign up to do things others either can't or won't. I'm capable of holding on to those thoughts all at once.
I know that ALL lives matter; but yes, I also understand why black lives matter. Black lives have been marginalized throughout history, and that is of course inherently wrong. The sad truth, however, is that lives of all color, religions, heritages, etc., have been marginalized and victimized. We must never forget that, and yet we must also remember how quickly we unify and rally around one another. I'm capable of grasping each of those concepts, and internalizing them.
I know that hate and fear live in darkness, and that love and understanding live in light. I know many of us have been victimized in various ways, and that a great deal of pain, hatred and bitterness come from that. Although I fully understand why we hold on to contempt, anger and hurt, I know there is freedom in letting go, even while honoring ourselves. Personally speaking, I have a long way to go when it comes to forgiving and forgetting, but I am a grown up and I am capable of looking at issues and challenges from differing angles. It's really not that difficult.
I am not a prisoner of one-way thinking.
I hope you're not either.

No comments:

Post a Comment