Friday, July 31, 2020

Intruding on a special moment: Let this image inspire you to be kinder today




What makes a powerful image? It has to convey something that touches the soul and elicits a strong, sometimes raw emotion. It is almost always candid and often simple.

This one is worth a thousand words ... and more.

In some ways I still fancy myself as a journalist, and I'm always looking to tell a story, whether it be through words or an image. Although she won't like me posting this, I feel I just have to share it. I captured this picture of my mom caring for my dad earlier this week, after he fell and broke his leg. They were in the E.R., I was sitting off to the side of the room, watching it unfold. It was approaching midnight, and we were all exhausted.

It's worth noting that my parents recently celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. It's also worth noting that my father, Bruce, suffered from Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. My mom, Jeanne, has always been there for him, without fail, even through the toughest times. On this occasion, she held his hand as he winced in terrible pain. She whispered words of love and encouragement. They were alone, together, in their own world.

Extremely frail and almost shockingly thin at age 92, my dad's weight fell below 90 pounds before he passed away Thursday night (he went very peacefully; what a blessing). For nearly three days, mom never left dad's side; never stopped displaying acts of love and selflessness.

Many years ago, in college journalism classes, I learned about selecting photos for newspapers. It almost always led to discussions about powerful images and how they tell a story. Often the most powerful images are intrusive, like this one, and sometimes they walk the line of going too far.

I'm hesitant to post this picture because it intrudes on a special moment between my mom and dad. It belonged to them. Additionally, I'm uncomfortable showing my dad in such a frail and vulnerable state, not long before he passed away (journalist aren't supposed to use that expression, but in this case I'm just too close to the situation).

However, I’ve decided to post it anyway, because it touches a greater good. It tells a story of real, honest love. That counts for something. At a time when the world seems to have gone crazy, and authentic, candid compassion is lacking, this image tells a story we all need to hear ... to feel.

So take a good look and let yourself feel something powerful. Let it stir something in you; something that, hopefully, will move you to be a little kinder as you walk your path.

Sorry, mom, I know you don't like attention. But you're one of those heroes who doesn't wear a cape.

Maybe you'll go viral.

No comments:

Post a Comment