Monday, January 27, 2020

Adding my tribute: What Kobe did for me


Kobe Bryant treated me with class, respect and professionalism.  
I want to add this rather small experience to the many tributes to Kobe Bryant. 
As many know, I spent several years working as a sportswriter, and during that time I spent a decade covering the Utah Jazz and the NBA. As part of my job, I had occasion to interview a number of athletes, including Kobe. 

Now, I'll add the caveat that we don't really know these athletes beyond the context of what we see while they're working, and answering questions from reporters is certainly part of the job. But when I think of Kobe, I'll always think of him as a gentleman and a professional based solely on a couple of one-on-one interactions. 
Specifically, I recall two occasions when I needed to chat with him. Normally, questions are asked in a group setting -- something of a large scrum when Kobe was holding a media availability. But there were times when I'd missed out on the group setting, so I carefully approached him and asked, "Kobe, do you have a minute for a couple of questions?" Each time he was more than accommodating, saying something like, "Sure, what's up?"   
He not only answered my questions, but did so thoughtfully, treating me as a professional who had a job to do. Believe me, not all athletes do that. In fact, few did it quite like that. I obviously cannot speak to every aspect of Kobe's life (or any other athlete's, really) or even how he treated other reporters. I just know how he responded to me on those occasions, and I came away with a great deal of appreciation and respect. 
Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

Kobe, as an athlete, was as fierce a competitor as I've ever witnessed up close. I mean, his desire to win superseded his jaw-dropping talent, which is saying something. Some athletes, through their own intensity and mental makeup, are said to be the guys "you love to hate," and I suppose Kobe was one of those guys. Of course if he was on your favorite team, well, he was very likely your favorite player because his passion thrilled you. 
I made my living covering the Utah Jazz for the Standard-Examiner, a newspaper located in Ogden, Utah, a large city about 40 minutes north of Salt Lake City. Most of my readers were diehard Jazz fans, who, generally speaking, despised Kobe. He infuriated them because when he’d beat their beloved Jazz, it felt personal. His intense stare; his mean mug; his ability to draw a foul that, certainly in their mind, was at best a terrible call from inept refs, and worse still, probably a direct order from the NBA’s front office … it all added up to something so villainous
And yet there was no denying his incredible talent, and of course, his showmanship. 
Yeah, if he’d worn the right uniform, oh man, he’d be a god!
Even in the wake of his shocking and tragic death, I'm not going to pretend Kobe has suddenly become everyone's favorite athlete, that you've suddenly forgiven him for beating your favorite team. But I'd like to think that we're all appreciating him a little more today. 
I know I am.     

No comments:

Post a Comment