Sunday, April 19, 2020

Why kindness heals

Photo credit: simplemindfulness.com 
Here's a little Sunday sermon for you, and when I say "you" I mean me, because I'm guilty of getting this wrong all the time (and when I say "sermon" I don't mean "religious," so keep reading, please, because I think it's all-inclusive).

It's important to understand that we don't always (or ever, I guess) need to know WHAT challenge someone is dealing with, only THAT he or she facing an obstacle.


For some, such kindness appears to come so easy. But it's a skill that requires practice and continual refinement. As much as it should be, true gentleness isn't human nature. Some will tell you it's a weakness; others will say those who possess it are destined to finish last.

But for anyone -- and I know there are many, many of you out there today -- who has reached beyond yourself and connected with something larger, you know an unmatched feeling of strength that comes from deep inside.

What you may not realize, however, is that while that strength may start from a place deep inside, it shines outwardly and it cannot be suppressed.

We see it.


And it lights our way.

Editors note: The above video was taken several years ago when I noticed my grandson, Bryson, sharing his snacks with our dog, Rudy. Without a trace of self consciousness, Bryson quite naturally gave of himself. It makes me realize that I might be wrong about true gentleness. In many ways it is in our human nature, but unfortunately, it shrinks as we "grow." 

No comments:

Post a Comment